Saturday, May 10, 2008

My baby is 5

After surviving 7 weeks of bed rest, several attempts at stopping my premature labor, and an asthma attack while in labor pushing, on May 11, 2003...Mother's Day that year too...Thane entered the world. He wasn't ready though. He wasn't suppose to come out yet. He was 5 weeks early.

His lungs were not fully developed, he didn't have the suck/gag reflex, he was jaundice, and had pneumonia. He hadn't developed finger prints yet. However, he weighed in at 8 pounds!! He spent the first 10 days of his life at the hospital.


As Thane was growing and developing into the little man he is today, he had a lot of difficulty breathing. The first time he was hospitalized was at 8 months. He spent a week at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville. A few months later and a few more hospitalizations, we got the official diagnosis of asthma. From the time he was 8 months to almost four he, was on 4-6 different medications a day...including around the clock breathing treatments every four hours when he was having an episode.


It wasn't until February 2007 we started seeing Thane's health improving. A friend of ours was very adamant about us taking him to see her chiropractor. She said he could help us. I was very skeptical thinking, "How in the world could having a straight spine aid in Thane's asthma?" Well, we all started seeing Dr. Tom in January 2007 and you know what?! It has worked! Seriously! Thane has been off his medication...all of it...since the end of March 2007! I do keep his inhalers with me "just in case", but we have only had a "just in case" incident once since then. I didn't realize that only 10% of your nerves transmit pain indicators...90% of them help the organs function correctly. If you are sublexated (vertebrae out of alignment therefore causing the nerves to be squished) then your organs are not working up to their full potential. Anyhow, we have all been seeing Dr. Tom and he has helped us all!!!

So, now Thane is healthy and living life to it's fullest. He is a mischievous little guy who can't sit still. He loves to draw battle pictures, play in the dirt, pretend he is Bono, and would wear his pajamas everywhere if I'd let him.





Happy Birthday, Thane!!!! I love you!!!

7 comments:

Tina in WA said...

Happy Birthday!

Wow! What a life's tale to tell. I am so happy he is doing better. Praise God!

I love the pictures of him. He is a cutie!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your little one! Looks like someone has an awesome testimony!

Lori C., Texas said...

Happy Birthday Thane!

I keep coming back to AO. I am by far an expert but I love it. We are adding in grammar, spelling, and vocabulary to our AO year but other than that we are going to try a full year of AO. The kids love it all but the history. We may end up switching back to SOTW but we are going to try to stick with AO history.

Lori

Meliss said...

Whoa! An 8 pound preemie!

I'm so glad about the happy ending to his breathing trouble! Thanks for sharing your/his story.

my5wolfcubs said...

Belated Happy Birthday! As an adult dh was also helped by chiropractic for his asthma. :) Glad your little guy got an early start...to breathing better, not birth! LOL
Lee
PS California?? :) Thanks for stopping by my blog to check on me. I decided it was time to start blogging again by posting my curriculum for the new year.

Brittney said...

He is a special little guy! Happy late birthday, Sam-o, and Happy Mother's Day again to an awesome Mommie-uh!

Anonymous said...

Whoops - Brittney didn't say ^ that ^ - I did.