Monday, February 16, 2009

My Poor Thane


Well, I took Thane to the doctor today. He has been running a fever since Thursday and coughing consistently for the past three days. For those of you who do not know our medical history with him, I'll just tell you he has asthma and has been in and out of the hospital since he was born. So when he gets to coughing, we brace ourselves. Turns out he was wheezing a bit so they gave him a breathing treatment. I didn't like it. I don't like it. This was his first treatment in two years.

Why, you ask? When we lived in TN we were blessed by a man name Dr. Tom. He is a chiropractor. He viewed his practice as a ministry and therefore gave us a huge discount. He just wanted to see people well and healthy. Our entire family began seeing him in Jan. of 2007. We all started seeing benefits to the treatments right away. The one who benefited the most was Thane. Thane was taking 6 daily medications, sometimes in 4 hour intervals. By March of 2007 he was down to one. A few months later, he stopped taking that one. He (and all of us) were medication and sickness free for almost two years!


Fast forward to now...Magnus was sick all last week, Thane is wheezing, and Collin and I are feeling "old" again. We are kind of stuck between and rock and a hard place...we can't afford the outrageous prices of the "voo-doo" doctors here but yet we can't afford not to afford them. Why oh why can't insurance cover preventive care instead of the medications? Ugh!

Okay...rant over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww...poor Thane :( I'm so sorry. Good grief. I hope he gets better, and I hope there is a good chiropractor that you can come across. Hmmmm, have you been to some yet? I could ask mine if she knows anyone out there....

Unknown said...

My oldest has asthma. I am the same way when he starts coughing. I get really nervous. Last year he had whooping cough. It took him 4 months to get over it.

I hope that his cough is better really soon.