Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs...

I stumbled upon this great way to record some of our Homeschool Memoirs this year. The Homeschool Post...home of the Homeschool Blog Awards...is posting a different theme each Wednesday that we can write about. I think it'll be a great way to connect with other homeschooling moms. I am a little behind and have some catching up to do so here goes the first one...

This year we decided to enroll the boys in a charter school. This was a hard decision as I wasn't sure about having "oversight" from the government. I struggled with the idea of having to meet with an advisor every other week to show her what we were doing. I didn't want someone "telling me what to do". However, since we were moving across country, leaving the homeschooling community we had established in TN and we are having to live on a strict budget, I thought this would be the best route to go. It would give us an instant community and they purchase our curriculum.

I am pleased to say that my fears have not come to fruition. Yes, I do have to meet with an advisor, but Ms. Judy is great. She is really encouraging and the boys look forward to showing her the work they have completed. It's nice they get to show someone, besides Mom and Dad, their work. I pretty much call the shots and they are there to encourage and support me in educating my children the way best way I see fit.

There are several field trips set up for us to participate in throughout the year. A visit to the pumpkin patch, a train ride to San Jose to tour the Tech Museum, and attending various theatrical venues are just a few of the activities we can do. Oh, and it's all paid for by the school! How cool it that!

The school also has a group of families that have chosen to educate their children classically so we get together once a month to discuss all things classical. It has been wonderful meeting others who prescribe to the same values as I do as far as education goes. There are also opportunites to attend workshop and lectures. I will be going to one next week about Writing With Ease, written by Susan Wise Bauer. I have yet to decide on a writing program so I am anxious to see what this is all about.

AND...the reousrces that are available for my use are amazing!!! There is so much curricula, books, games, videos, ect. that I have access to. It is heaven for a curriculum junkie like me! The best part is that I don't have to pay for it!!! Perfect for a family of four living on a budget.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share something that is new for us that is working well.

If you would like to see how others have responded to this "assignment", you can click on this link and scroll down to the Mr. Linky and click on one that catches your eye!

No comments: