Thursday, February 28, 2008

Happy Leap Day!

Leap day happens to be my favorite day of the year, well, every fourth year I guess. Wikipedia explains Leap Year like this...

A
leap year (or intercalary year) is a year containing one or more extra days (or, in case of lunisolar calendars, an extra month) in order to keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical or seasonal year. For example, February would have 29 days in a leap year instead of the usual 28. Seasons and astronomical events do not repeat at an exact number of full days, so a calendar which had the same number of days in each year would over time drift with respect to the event it was supposed to track. By occasionally inserting (or intercalating) an additional day or month into the year, the drift can be corrected. A year which is not a leap year is called a common year.

I explain Leap Year like this...I FINALLY get to have a real birthday!


I often get asked, "When do you celebrate your birthday when there is no February 29?" To me, the answer is easy. "On the 28th and the 1st!" Seriously, why not?

Why do I think it's cool to have a birthday on Leap Year?
*I got my license when I was 4 years old!
*I was able to drink, well legally, when I was 5 1/4!
*Not many people share my birthday. I only knew of one other kid in my high school of 2000 people.

The best reason is...when people tell me to "act my age" I tell them, "I am!". Yes, complete with a sassy attitude!


So, how old am I this year?
NINE!

10 comments:

the striped rose said...

Happy Birthday! Nine years old today!

Michele

my5wolfcubs said...

HAPPY NINTH BIRTHDAY! I've never met anyone born on Feb 29th before! I'm glad to know you, Brittney!!
Lee

Laura said...

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Brittney! Your birthday is the easiest one for me to remember,and I always look forward to it! Thanks for being a great friend. I hope you have had a great day celebrating!!! Murray

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Amy :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! You don't look a day over 8!

Happy birthday, I hope you get that movie you've (I've) been wanting.

Daisy said...

Very cool! Happy Birthday!

Lisa~ said...

Happy day after your birthday! I sent a note in a thread on WTM... but I’m afraid you didn’t see it... it was in the thread that 2 moms on WTM were in labor! *Ü*

I’m jealous of Murray Morgan... that must be a friend in real life! *Ü*

Lisa~

PS. I have a cousin who was born on the 29th.... she is "3" now. *Ü*

Tina in WA said...

Wow! That is too neat! Happy belated birthday!

Lisa~ said...

I love the new header! Your blog looks so cool! I love it!!!

I had to pop onover to tell you I took a picture for ya! Its in a slide show for the green hour challenge. *Ü*

Hugs to ya!

Lisa